Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Day 87, 88, & 89 Jett's first xmas :)

JETT Day 87, Saturday, Christmas eve

I think it was a relatively uneventful day (I can't remember, it's now Monday!) He had a wash and weigh, I can't remember his exact weight but it was around 3.5kgs. Oh now I remember the event lol - Jett had a nice wash, tolerated it really well, but when they out him in the scales he lost it and had to be suctioned and bagged right there on the scales! The nurses have started to say I've been there too long because I didn't even freak out, I just moved out of the way and continued making up his cot.

You know you've been in ICN too long when...

*You don't even flinch when your son turns purple and has to be bagged

*when he starts to desat and you just yell to the nurse "I think he needs a suction"

* When you instruct the nurses exactly what the last nurse dressed your son's wound with and they don't bother to double check because they trust you know what you are on about

* When the ICN nurses greet you by name and ask how Jett's doing even though they haven't looked after him for ages..

*When it's wash and weigh day and you just walk in and start preparing things, the nurses say "Just call us when he needs a suction"

*When the area surrounding Jett's cot looks more like a bedroom than a hospital space

* When you're in the same room for so long you see babies come and go many times

* When your baby was the smallest in the room, but is now the biggest

They are just a few examples. I'll add more later lol.

No changes made to anything ventilation or medication wise.

I tried to dress him a in a green "My first xmas" suit but he spewed on it so had to get changed. I am determined to get at least one picture Lol.

Day 88, Sunday Christmas day!!

Today I changed Jett into his xmas suit again but couldn't manage to get a pic of him where he wasn't crying. I left it and thought I'd get some later but when I went back in the arvo after quiet time we turned him on his back (he'd had a long sleep on his tummy)to find his bag had leaked so he ended up with poo all over his outfit. I came to the conclusion then that he just didn't like it so he got changed again lol!

Jett had a pretty settled morning but then in the late arvo his lung secretions were really blood stained. The Dr was going to put a cannula in and take a full blood count and a coagulation test. I was really upset because I thought I'd miss out on my cuddle. The Dr rang Jett's Dr, Dr D and she was happy to leave the test til tomorrow, but he had a vitamin K injection instead. Life certainly goes on in the ICN, nothing stops for xmas in there!

The day overall was pretty good, Ronald Mac house put on a really good lunch, cold meats, prawns oysters, salmon and a range of salads.There was heaps there and we were able to pack some into containers for later. I ended up getting my cuddle, from 9pm til 1am. It was so nice, first time I have snuggled my own baby on Xmas. I missed Taite and Seth so much, even if I had Jett home Xmas will still be hard, nothing will be as it should be without my babies.

Jett was really settled with his cuddle, but was on 50% oxygen which is quite high. He has been weaned back down to his normal 35% though now. When I put him back to bed he was wide awake for ages! He was looking at his new mobile that Santa bought :) He loves it.

I'm so glad I got to spend a Christmas with him, I am very aware it could be our only one. Our cuddle was very special :)

Here are some xmas day pics :)

Feast at Ron's house :)
My lil baby having a xmas snooze
"Waaah, I hate this xmas suit!"
aww, xmas snuggles with Mama :)

Day 89, Monday, boxing day

Jett had another wash and weigh he is a massive 3656gms :) He didn't enjoy his bath today which was unusual, but tolerated the weigh really well, which is good. The Dr's decided not to do the coagulation test today, just his normal blood gas and full blood count. He hasn't had it done yet though, probably later this arvo..

Jett had a long period of awake time after his wash and weigh. I put the mobile in front of him and he seems to enjoy looking at it. He has a small teddy with a santa hat and I get him to hold the hat, so he doesn't hold his tube. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't pull his tube out someday soon. I hope not though, that would not be good!

Jett loved his dummy this morning, he was showing signs of hunger so I put some breast milk on his dummy and he loved it. He seems to have a good suck reflex, I hope that when he is ready to start having proper breastfeeds he takes to it easily.

January is nearing and it's scary. The day Jett has his surgery will be a scary day. Mum is coming up in mid Jan to stay with me, so she'll be here for Jett's surgery. I can't wait to see her again. Bring on 2012 and bringing my boy home!!! Everything has to be ok, I can't imagine leaving this hopital without my son.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you spent at least part of Christmas day right where you should be - cuddling your babe. Much love to the two of you. Have they given a date for his surgery?

    ReplyDelete