Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 134 & 135 - Breathing and feeding!!!!! :)

Day 134

Jett's off cpap!!! He's so clever.. Just breathing on his own! It's so beautiful to see him with no tapes and crap on his face.. We had the best cuddle. I just stared and stroked his beautiful face for hours.. He had 4 stinky nappies for me to change yesterday!! Everything is working as it should... I'm so happy :)

Day 135

Wow, today has been huge!!! Since Jett has been off cpap since yesterday, it was time to move on.. We moved into a transition room. It's still ICN, but next stop is SPECIAL CARE! We will be there soon I'd say.. Maybe by the end of next week depending on beds etc.. Another step closer to being home with my son!! Jett was weighed today.. Little fatty is 4730gms! He is big, but when I saw a nurse cuddling him he still looked so tiny. He was dressed in triple zero clothes yesterday, but today I got him into a 4 zero.. It fits him, but not for much longer...!!!

The highlight of my day though wasn't moving rooms. It came about after we bathed and weighed Jett. The nurse said i could try breastfeeding!!!!!! I expressed first because Jett is only on 18mls so we didn't want to overload him. Jett latched straight away but only sucked for a minute or 2 before just playing. It was so good though :) Then this afternoon I tried again and it it took him a bit longer to latch but he went like a champ.. My little baby fed on and off for about half an hour, stopping for a burp and a play in between.. It was so normal and natural. It was absolutely everything I wanted it to be :) I feel like a Mummy now. I am so over the moon. It was so nice to pick my son up, breastfeed him, then hold him for ages while he slept on my chest.. Absolute bliss!!!

Since I've never fed before, I have no idea if he was attaching correctly, but he seems to be and it doesn't hurt. I was concerned about his ability to suck after being ventilated for so long, apparently a high palette can do damage to your nipples.. Oh well, it felt so nice and Jett was very very happy.. He was milk drunk with the hiccups and passed out on my chest after.. Seriously the best feeling ever... It make all those hours of pumping so worth it... I couldn't be happier! Things just get better! Can't wait to go home and I'm so excited that I have started what I hope will be a long breastfeeding journey!!

2 comments:

  1. You've brought tears to my eyes. How fantastic to breastfeed Jett. It sounds like you're doing ok. Tom has a high palette too- hasn't caused any problems, our only problems now are his pearly whites which he regularly chomps with- then pulls- OUCH... all this to look forward to!
    Keep up the great work! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just so so happy for you, I'm sitting here crying. You are just a fantastic strong mummy and I'm so glad you're finally feeding and close to going home :)

    ReplyDelete