Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 55, 56 & 57. Jett is 8wks old!

JETT

It's been a big few days so I'll do some things in point form to save time..

Day 55

Lasix infusion started - Saves breaking the central line if Dr D needs to increase/decrease the dose.

Gentamicin started - In case Jett has any more bugs. His platelets aren't going up, so it's possible he does. Dr D not too worried though as he's not showing any other signs of being sick.

Average oxygen sitting on 36%, rate and pressures still the same.

Day 56

Surgeons speaking about taking out the drain in his abscess. It's not draining anything, so there isn't much point in it being there. It is only a portal for infection if it stays.

Average oxygen 35% - Jett is having desats but is recovering fairly quickly without increasing his oxygen requirement. Rate and pressures the same.

Jett is hating having his 3hrly head turns, and sometimes needs increased oxygen and ventilation to deal with bradys and desats.

Day 57

A big day for my Bubba today.. Drain in abscess came out. He coped really well, his oxygen was only increased to 40% and he didn't desat or brady. The drain came out really easily which was good there was no pulling or anything. Jett was given a bolus dose of morph and medaz though to relax him 1st. There is a hole where the drain was which is covered by a dressing, but the surgeons didn't want it held together with steri strips. If there is still anything to drain out, it can still drain out the hole which is what they want. It has oozed a little bit, but not too much.

The other big thing that happened today was Dr D replaced his ventilation tube. He had outgrown the one he had, it had been in since he was born. I was worried it would be traumatic, but Dr D gave him enough M&M's to go to sleep. She ended up giving him 4.5mls because he has become a little resistant to it and wouldn't go to sleep! It took him about 25mins because they started the M&M's in 1ml doses.

Hopefully this new tube will improve his breathing enough to wean him off. Dr D is happy to wean him if Jett is showing signs of coping. During the vent tube change and the circuit change he had had to be bagged and both times my strong boy did most of the breathing by himself! I'm so proud of him! The only concern with getting him on CPAP is that it could increase the air in his gut. Dr D said we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, at the moment she is happy with everything he's doing. The brady's he has are totally normal and his rate of ventilation is low considering what my boy has been through.

Although Jett having brady's is normal, it's not nice to watch.. Lets just say purple isn't Mummy's favourite shade of colour! The nurses are really calm during the resus and he recovers very quickly.. They haven't had to bag him, all they do is increase his ventilation til his HR returns to normal, then it's weaned straight back down..

I think I'm all updated! Not much really changes, my boy just plods along, going with the flow. Things only change when Jett says it's time. Surgery is a long way off yet though, when Jett's ready, he'll let us know!

MUMMY

Oh god, where do I begin? I have had a big few days too...

I had my D&C on Tuesday, I had a spinal with sedation which was effective. I recovered really quickly and in no time at all I was harassing the nurses to take out my catheter so I could go and see my babe. They were reluctant at first, but then they realised that I wouldn't give up, so relented at last. By 10pm that night (Op was at 12) I was walking with my catheter out and down to see my baby!! I hadn't seen him since 7 that morning. I missed him so so much. I had stayed with him the night before.. I slept by his crib in a recliner. It was the best waking up next to my baby. I can't wait to have him home.

My birth trauma didn't come up, except for when I was being wheeled into the anaesthetic bay. I had flashbacks because that's where I birthed my Son under very traumatic circumstances. I coped well though and I'm glad it's over and done with now :)I am on augmentin until I finish the course then thats it.. Hopefully I can work on getting my milk clean again! I am still on the diflucan but it's not making any difference. I am seeing a dermatologist tomorrow which will hopefully fix my last health issue :)

I was tossing up whether or not to make this blog private as it seems someone thinks they can take information out of it and use it against me.. As I read back on these posts though, I know I have done nothing but speak raw truth about myself and my son. People can be confronted by that, I guess, but I have decided that it's their issue, not mine, so I wont stop blogging and I wont stop sharing this journey with the public. I truly believe this can help someone one day. If just one person reads this and can relate and find comfort in the fact that they are not alone it's worth it. I'm not doing it for that reason though, I'm doing this so that when Jett's all grown up and I am old I can look back on this and say "Wow, Jett, we did this. We survived this rollercoaster together" and I will feel proud that I never gave up being true to my Son and myself. Fuck what anyone else thinks!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Abby - glad you got through your procedure ok.... good to her Jett is still fighting strong. Sorry that your blog is being misused/manipulated. Glad you didn't stop blogging about your journey. I follow your blog, and even though I don't read every day, when I do I read with so much anticipation. I never got to have this journey, part of me is sad for that, because it means my 3 babies died before help was available to them, part of me is glad, as reading how tough it is for you and Jett, makes me wonder about human endurance. Part of me is glad too that I am living a much more carefree life with HB. But then I get sad that you aren't having that opportunity? I was just thinking that Jett would be over 30 weeks gest if he was still in utero. I wish he'd stayed in utero, but I am also glad you've gotten to know him and know his strength, and yours. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete