Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Surgery day 42 & day 43 update ( 6 weeks old today!)

Yesterday Jett had surgery. It took 2 and half hours. When Jade and I went in to finally speak with the Drs we didn't like what we heard.

They opened him up and no bowel spilled out. They dug around inside and found that the bowel was all stuck together. Somewhere along the line, Jett had perforations. They were never seen on the numerous x rays. The contents of his gut had spilled out into the abdominal cavity and over time has formed adhesions. His bowel is all stuck together in a big knot. The surgeons couldn't even tell which end was which. It was also stuck to the abdominal wall and his liver. There is an abscess in the abdominal cavity.

Jett is lucky that he didn't get an infection in his bloodstream.

The surgeons couldn't form a stoma, because they couldn't find any part of the bowel that wasn't stuck. Pulling it apart and trying to untangle the mess would have cause him to bleed out and they would have lost him then and there. They almost lost him just from opening him up and handling him, he required transfusions, he lost quite a lot of blood.

The surgeons ended up putting in 2 drains. 1 in the abscess to drain out the pus & the 2nd one in his small intestine to prevent further spillage in his abdominal cavity. The have also continued with 4 different types of antibiotics to prevent the infection from the abscess spreading into his bloodstream.

My little baby has to get strong enough for the surgeons to open him up again and untangle and unstick everything. They think by the time he is strong enough his bowel would have died and there will be nothing they can do. When I asked yesterday if Jett will survive, Dr D said he had a slim chance.

Today Mum was up and I had another meeting with Dr D. She re capped what she told me yesterday and I think I understand it. I asked her when they think he could be strong enough for the surgery. She said it could take months. So what that means is Jett could remain on TPN (Total Parenteral Nutrition) for months, stabilise, be strong enough for surgery then they could open him up and not be able to save any of his bowel. Without a bowel he can't eat.. He can't live on TPN. I asked her today for a number.. She said he has a 5 - 10% chance of survival..

On top of all this there are other things to consider. Keeping him on ventilation can make his Chronic Lung disease worse. The infection in his abdominal cavity could spread to his blood stream and he could die from that.. It is very touch and go.

Then last night we had post surgery complications. His BP was dangerously low and I was warned he may not survive the night... He did though and today his BP has remained stable. :)

My mind is going a million miles. Jett has to make it, I have to have faith.. But the reality is he may not..

My goals have now changed. I wanted to have him in special care at xmas, now I just hope he's still alive.

I asked Dr D if we were putting him through all this for nothing. She said there is hope, there is still a chance. She said she will let me know if she thinks he is too sick to keep pushing him.

The hardest thing about all this is the waiting. We wont know if his bowel can be saved until he is strong enough to have the surgery (or a contrast). This will take weeks or even months. We wont know if his lungs will be able to handle being ventilated for so long.. If his lungs get so bad he needs high frequency vent and nitric oxide (like he did at first) Dr D will probably suggest it could be time to let go.

Trying to focus on NOW though. He's still alive, he doesn't have a bloodstream infection and his ventilation isn't too high considering his huge operation. Ventilation is: Rate 70, Pip 25, Peep 8, oxygen 42%.

More good news today he had a head scan which was clear and an echo which showed his heart was working well and the duct hasn't changed, so at least that's something..

I'll try and fill in the finer details later, for now I don't have the energy. I have tried to explain this as best I can. It is confusing and difficult to process.

8 comments:

  1. Hugs hun I hope your little fighter stays strong and you take each day as it comes and make sure you look after yourself so you can be strong for Jett. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, holy shit, I wasn't expecting to read that Abs. I pray that he really is stronger than any of us even thought (and that's pretty strong)... I hope that he pulls through all of this against all odds. Love to you all xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for your lil Jett. I remember all to well nicu life. You have got to take the good news and leave the bad. The good news is he is a strong baby boy and I pray that he remains that way. Lots of hugs and love sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Little Jett-plane, you certainly have a battle ahead of you but you can do it little man! You have a wonderful Mummy and Daddy to go home to and two big angel brothers who are helping you fight.
    Stay strong Jett, fight baby boy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been following your journey for a while so, and am in tears reading this. Your beautiful Jett, what a big shock.

    Stay strong little boy, were all praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Abby :( My heart aches for you. This is so unfair. Keep fighting, Jett- There are so many people who love you and need you here. Sending you every ounce of strength I have honey. :( I'm praying for your precious boy. A candle will be lit for Jett every day until he comes home. I refuse to lose hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe in you and Jett! Live strong my blossoms.

    ReplyDelete