Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Update from last night - A bit of a scare :(

So after I updated my blog yesterday, I went to the nursery, but after I expressed, I decided that instead of staying til around 6, I'd come and have a sleep as I was sooo tired. So about 4.30, I came back to RM house, closed the curtains, set the alarm and fell into bed. I drifted off to a very light sleep, and was disappointed when I woke only an hour later. Rolling over, I gave myself another hour, but then Ring Ring! It was the RM phone, so up like a shot I knew it was the nursery.. I was informed that Bub had more bile and they suspected a twisted bowel :(. Plan of action was an Ultrasound, and if it was twisted, surgery.. Fuck! Mama still felt dead, so I made the biggest, strongest coffee in the world, grabbed an apple, strawberries and almonds and went to be with my babe.

When I got there, rounds were happening, so I scoffed my snacks in the parents lounge then went back to Jett and held his tiny hand.. They were prepping for surgery, setting up the high frequency vent over an open cot. There were 2 radiologists and I was there as they started the ultrasound on Bub's gut. The bile poured out of the NG tube with pressure on his tummy, it was awful,but with Mama holding his hand and singing to him the whole time, he tolerated it well..

The scan was taking ages! I then find out they had seen what they wanted, but were just 'playing' as they were from the RCH, and don't get to do these U/S on tiny babes much!! Umm, I wanted to tell them to fuck off. My precious babe is not a toy. Luckily the look on my face said it all and they wrapped it up. The nurse called the Dr, and it was decided that there was no twist :) Yay!! The only thing is, the U/S isn't a definitive test, the only real way to tell was to do a dye test which they concluded Jett wouldn't tolerate, so it was watch and wait.. Thank God though, it looked good at this stage. I was so worried how Jett would tolerate surgey..

I sat with Bub all night. Every now and then I would feel him clasp my finger tighter, see his tummy tighten a few times like he was about to vomit and then bile pour out of the NG tube :( It was really awful. My poor baby :(

Then came the highlight of the evening!!!

I gave Jett a sponge bath, and held him up (just with my hands in the crib) while the nurse changed his bedding!! He tolerated that amazingly, and there wasn't too much bile coming out of his tube, he had stopped the vomiting movements and had very little aspirate when they syringed the tube, so Mummy finally felt comfy enough to leave him at 1am.. So much for my arvo sleep!! Lol There was no place I'd rather be though, I know I comforted him heaps during that ordeal.. As I said previously, I can really tell he is responding positively to my touch and voice, and he tolerated that U/S better than his echo, which they had done earlier when I wasn't there..

The power of a Mother's touch!! Now after my little sleep, I am ready to face the day again (sorta!). I just called the nursery to see how he was since I left and the nurse was on her break, so I am waiting for the call back!

2 comments:

  1. Much love to you Abby and Master Jett, I hope today has been a much gentler day for you both and am thinking of you xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Abby .. heart aches!
    who decided Jett may have a twisted bowel?
    where was Dr D when this happened?
    there whole surgery n scare tactics are just that - tactics.

    i would be reporting the 'playing'; incident to hosey and dr d if i were you (formally on paper and with a meeting). start early and the whole "you know we are a training hospital" crap eases.

    more n more strength to you x

    ReplyDelete