Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Baby Button is here!!!!

Our lil Bub couldn't wait! At 25+5wks our little baby boy Jett Anthony was born!A quick run down of what happened:

27th September - 11pm I started bleeding, not much but enough to be concerned.

28th September - 12.10am Arrive at RBWH. Bleeding had slowed but was watched carefully. mild contractions were present, but not enough to worry.Cervix long and closed. Placenta low lying.. I sent Jett's dad home to sleep and I rested too. I was warned that if I hemorrhaged I would have to deliver, but was reassured it wouldn't be unless absolutely necessary.

- 11am, blood loss of 500ml, sent for ultrasound. Concluded that bleed was probably caused by the edge of the placenta. As the bleeding had settled down, it wasn't a concern at that point. Low doses of morphine kept contractions at bay..

- 6pm, No bleeding or contractions, I was allowed to eat dinner, so it was obvious the staff didn't expect I would be sent to theatre.

- 9pm, settled in bed for about 10mins then felt blood loss. Upon measurement it was almost a litre. At this point blood was arranged for me, and delivery was discussed, but again no plans unless necessary. It was too early!

- 11pm, contractions coming hard and fast. Dose of morphine didn't help at all. As I had the previous classical cut the Drs didn't want me to labour. I was scared, but knew that my labour was the real thing.

29th September - 1am, theatre was arranged, labour was full on. On the way to theatre I had the urge to push. Membranes ruptured in the corridor to theatre, Baby was on his way!

- 2.44am, Jett Anthony was pushed into the world crying. I saw he was a boy and touched him before he was taken away to be worked on. Phone calls made to my Mum and Jetts dad who had missed the whole thing.

- 3.30am placenta was not coming I was losing loads of blood. Blood pressure dropping by the minute. Epidural given very slowly and into theatre I went. Placenta was manually extracted however by that stage I had lost so much blood I had lost all clotting capabilities. I was awake while a team of 20 medical professionals worked hard to save my life. I ended up having 5 IV access lines, which were extremely hard to get as I had no blood pressure. I thought I was going to die and when I asked someone they just said they were doing all they can. I just kept thinking of my baby boy who needed me and knew I had to stay strong.

Finally at 6am I was stable and was moved to ICU at 7am with massive bruising all up my arms and down my legs where they had tried to access my arteries and veins. I had a balloon in my uterus and packing in my vagina to prevent another hemorrhage. It was so scary, but when I saw my son that day I was just in love!!

Jett has to make it, because he is my last chance. I narrowly escaped a hysterectomy, but my heart was very compromised and still was for 2 days with the fluid shifts occuring. If I had been in a smaller hospital without the available blood and such a great team it's safe to say I wouldn't be here. The obstetric consultant has offered a debrief when ready and I have spoken to many of the people involved in my care that night for de briefing purposes.

So that's the short version, many other things did happen within the hours I didn't fill in but that's basically what happened. Tonight I have all lines catheters etc out except for 2 which I need for antibiotics. I have been up and about tonight and my beautiful boy is doing wonderfully today.. Each day is going to get better!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it is. You stay strong Mama, your boy needs you!

    I'm so happy to see you're staying positive about it all - I wouldn't blame you if you lost your mind after that birth, to be honest. You've been through so much, you deserve all the happiness Jett will bring you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!! I love his name.

    What a scary experience for you though, I'm so glad you had such a good team looking after you xx All the best in your recovery and I hope Jett has a smooth journey through the NICU =)

    ReplyDelete